Sexual harassment is sex or gender-based discrimination. This may encompass sexual expression, orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, and childbirth. Whether you’re a man or woman, you can be a target of sexual harassment. You can also be sexually harassed by a person of the same gender as you. Sexual harassment comprises of unwanted and unwelcome sexual conduct or advances of any form. This includes verbal or physical conduct or visuals that are of a sexual nature.
What are the two main types of sexual harassment?
Quid pro Quo: This basically means one thing for another. This is a situation where a senior places a condition on your promotion or receiving any other work benefit based on your submission to their sexual advances or other sexual misconduct.
Hostile Work Environment: This is when you experience unsolicited conduct or comments that are sexual in nature and interfere with your performance or subject you to an intimidating or hostile work environment. In some instances, you may experience sexual harassment even when conduct that’s of a sexual nature is not directed at you.
To get legal remedy, sexual harassment has to be severe. It, therefore, has to adversely affect your employment terms and subject you to an abusive environment. You may experience only a single act of harassment, but it may be so dire that you need legal intervention.
What Encompasses Sexual Harassment?
- Uncalled-for sexual conduct
- Promising employment benefits in exchange for sexual favors
- Offensive comments, jokes or epithets
- Premeditated physical actions such as touching, assault, and restricting a person’s movement.
- Retaliating or threatening someone after they reject your sexual advances.
- Suggestions to engage in sexual activity.
- Gestures, such as displaying sexual objects, visuals, and pictures.
- Sexually oriented verbal abuse: this may include snide remarks on a person’s body, sexual orientation, and use of derogatory language.
In case of sexual misconduct seeking the services of a sexual harassment attorney will help you get guidance through the legal process. It will ensure that you file your claim within the stipulated time frame as required by law. They will also provide you with all the assistance and support necessary to negotiate a fair settlement. This determines what damages you are entitled to and ensures that you receive a maximum award for your injuries from discrimination.
Why Should You Seek The services of a Sexual Harassment Lawyer In case of Sexual Misconduct?
As a client you can be assured of the following.
- Compliant and accurate filings
- Legal expertise on sexual harassment
- Ending the ongoing sexual discrimination
- Guidance on how to proceed with the lawsuit
- Representation in all court proceedings
- Ability to secure a reasonable settlement
- Excellent negotiation for your settlement and damages
You should never have to experience sexual harassment at work or any other public space. Nor should you tolerate sexual misconduct. If you are a victim of sexual harassment, a knowledgeable and experienced attorney can help you understand your rights and fight for the settlement that you deserve.